September 8, 2022

Book Review: Things We Never Got Over by Lucy Score

Hi book friends! 

I finally caved and read this book that kept coming up as a recommendation from fellow book lovers and Instagrammers. I was a bit wary of the hype (heck, even the title on Amazon said "The TikTok Sensation" and those are rarely a win for me (sorry). But am I glad I decided to pick it up! 

Things We Never Got Over

(Knockemout #1) by Lucy Score

Goodreads / Amazon

🌟 4.5 stars 🌟

The writing style reminds me of Samantha Young, Mariana Zapata and Elena Armas. What they have in common, you may ask? 

- Grumpy/Sunshine Romance

- Dual POV

- Feisty Heroine

- Grumpy, bad boy, foul mouthed, bearded billionaire alpa hero (yumz!)

- Banter

- Slow burn

- Small town setting

- A great cast of supporting characters who like to meddle and add fun to the drama

So this book was quite the ride! It checks so many things we love in Romance books, I kinda understand the hype now. One of the most fun grumpy-sunshine couples ever! If you look up "grumpy" in the dictionary, I'm sure Knox's name will show up. Which made for some of the best one liners, monologues, interactions and banter!

I will admit I loved the first part of the book more than the second one, and it was a looong book. I devoured every word, dialogue, growls and grumpiness from the hero and I LOLed at the banter and theatrics (think Mariana Zapata).

The ending was a bit too stereotypical for my taste, but overall a great romance that shouldn't be missed! The fun, the caring, the possessiveness and jealousy, the spice, the growing... all swoon-worthy.

And while I loved the dynamic Knox and Naomi had, I also liked the family and friends connections, their meddling and hilarious comments, the way everyone had a role to play in Knox and Naomi's life and how the relationship with her nice developed. Knox is the definition of grumpy foul mouthed bad boy, but the way he softened, stood up and swept Naomi off her feet eventually was heartmelting.

Memorable quotes:

He grinned. Full-on, panty-melting, 100-percent-wattage grinned. I felt woozy and hot and like I didn’t know how any of my joints worked anymore. “Wow,” I whispered. 
“Wow what?” he asked. 
“Uh . . . You smiled. And it was just seriously wow. I had no idea you could look like that. I mean, you already look like . . .” I waved my hand awkwardly in front of him. “You know. But then you add the smile, and you look almost human.”


“You can’t spend your entire life trying to make everyone else happy, Naomi,” I warned her. 
“Why not?” She looked genuinely baffled. 
“Eventually you’re going to give a little too much and you won’t have enough left over for yourself.”


“I believe Knox Morgan just said he couldn’t satisfy me. If only I had a phone to immortalize that statement on social media.” 
“A. You’re getting a new phone immediately. It’s irresponsible to go without one when you have a kid to think about.”
 “Oh, shut up. It’s been a handful of days. Not months. I didn’t know I was going to have a kid to think about,” she said. 
“B. I could satisfy the hell out of you,” I plowed on, pulling out of the parking lot.
“But you’d just want more, and that doesn’t suit me.” 
“Because I’m an ‘uppity, needy pain in the ass,’ ” she said to the darkness out her window. I didn’t have a defense. I was an asshole. Plain and simple. And the sooner she realized that, the farther she’d stay from me. Metaphorically speaking.


“𝘓𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘯. 𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘒𝘯𝘰𝘹, 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘦. 𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘢𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘴𝘦𝘦, 𝘐’𝘷𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘢 𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘭𝘦. 𝘚𝘰 𝘪𝘵’𝘴 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘣𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘰 𝘰𝘯 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘸𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨.”
“𝘐’𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘰𝘪𝘯’ 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦.”


“𝘐 𝘧𝘶𝘤𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶,” 𝘐 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘦𝘳. 𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘐 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘥. “𝘕𝘰𝘱𝘦. 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯’𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘺𝘦𝘵. 𝘍𝘪𝘨𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘐 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘵 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘢 𝘸𝘦𝘦𝘬 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘣𝘦𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘐’𝘭𝘭 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬.”

Totally recommended! 

xo

~Deea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...