January 27, 2011

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Hey guys!

I missed the Teaser Tuesday and Waiting on Wednesday/W.W.W. this week because I had some problems with my laptop. :( But we're good now, so before I get to what I had planed for this week (week-end already), I need to post my review for the last book of The Hunger Games trilogy. So here it is: 


Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins
 
Goodreads: 
Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding. 


My thoughts:
*Sorry, this contains spoilers:

While I could read the first 2 books in The Hunger Games series really quickly, I couldn't do the same with the final book. Everything about it was so sad, passionate, tragic, painful, shocking… still, so GOOD, that sometimes I just needed to come back to reality, to take a deep breath and make sure it’s all fiction. To wipe my tears and kick everyone out of my room, because I was so obsessed with it. (Yup, I’m a drama queen)
With all the new characters and all the things that happened, I found it very well action packed and easy to follow. But I didn’t like that just when I thought I understood some characters and they grew on me… bang! They died! So I was sad but, in the same time, I knew that everything happened for a reason, no matter how heartbreaking that was.
 
I really admired Katniss because despite everything, she didn’t really stop fighting. She didn’t forget her final purpose. She always tried to find the best solution. She was still caring, smart and brave. Maybe even more so. I wasn’t surprised when, close to the end, she was falling apart. The deaths, the destructions, the uncertainty, the pressure, the feelings… It was too much for her! And unfortunately there weren’t many people she could count on. I’m not a fan of the love triangles, but I liked Gale and I was glad he was there for her. I felt sorry for his broken heart, but I knew that things would get better for him too, eventually. But Peeta… Oh, Peeta! How could they do that do him? To sweet, adorable, loving Peeta? I really didn’t see that coming. I hoped that when he got back from the Capitol, he could help and support Katniss with his love… But he was even more devastated. There was something dark about him, but at least he was trying to fight it. Even with his messed mind and memories, he was still trying to figure Katniss out, to remember if/why he cared about her. He was still trying to help, even if sometimes that meant to stay behind, to risk to be caught.
 
But the most shocking thing for me was Prim’s death. I just couldn’t (refused to) believe it! Why?! Why her?! She was supposed to be Katniss’ anchor, not what pushed her over the edge completely! Because how could her sister ever recover from something like that? So I wasn’t disappointed with how the book ended - on the contrary. It was the most realistic, hopeful, reasonable happy ending. After everything that happened, a sweet, cheerful happily ever after would have been inappropriate. But at least Katniss and Peeta were together, recovering, building a new life in their old home as good as possible, given the circumstances. 
 
Oh, but there was one think that kind of annoyed me in this book: the world was falling apart, people were dying, the end was close and they cared about the stupid camera and about making a TV show?*slaps forehead* Oh well… It’s still one of my all times favorite books. For once, I agree with the majority when saying IT IS a very good series, with good voice, good storyline, good characters, good action, and I’m sorry I haven’t read it sooner. 

5 stars
And here's the cover of my copy: (again, I think they could have done a better work - we're talking about a fabulous best seller here!)
Romanian Cover
Let me know what you think, I'm still new at this book blogging thing. *blush*
See ya!;)
 xoxo

 

1 comment:

  1. Great review!! The "world falling apart and they're still worried about the Tv thing" is something I find very representative of this series, how much society has fallen... brilliant! hehe =|D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...