January 24, 2011

Review: Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

Hello!

I've been a little lazy lately, maybe because of this cold, snowy weather. I really miss spring! At least I could chill and try to catch up with some books and reviews. I even ordered a few more books - as if my TBR pile wasn't big enough already. :)) Anyways, here's the review I promised you a few days ago: 

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) - Suzanne Collins

Goodreads summary:

Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol. Catching Fire maintains the adrenaline rush of Suzanne Collins's series launch.


My thoughts:
*spoiler free

I really enjoyed Catching Fire - even more than the first book of the series. I found the world and the characters well developed, better organized, balanced... Or maybe I just got used to Suzanne Collins' style and I started to understand everything better. :) But it's full of profound emotions, jaw-dropping twists and turns, suspenseful action and intriguing relationships. 

Given the always unpredictable storyline, in my opinion the book had a slow start. Of course, there was all the drama Katniss and Peeta had to face after wining the dreadful Hunger Games, but I still felt like there was an eerly calm before the storm and I kept waiting for the punch line, for something big to happen. And when it did happen... I almost fall of my chair! I had to go back and reread that part. I just couldn't believe it!

And things got messy and intense quickly. People in the districts was already growing anxious and some of them started rebellions. And of course, President Snow blamed Katniss (because o her bold action at the end of the Games) for all of it. Still, neither of them deserved what the Capitol had prepared for the Hunger Games winners. 

But once again, Katniss and Peeta resigned, gathered their strength, teamed up and prepared to fight and to do everything they could to protect each other. Now, the most important thing for them was to keep each other alive - Peeta because he loved Katniss too much, and Katniss because she felt responsible for him - at least that's what she told herself. They were brave and determined, even though they knew they would probably die fighting. Still, I wouldn't have minded if Peeta had been built as a stronger character. Katniss had to make hard decisions and faced many threats and dangerous situations, but being a brave character who knew what she wanted, she always tried to find the best solution and stick with her decisions, no matter the cost.

I liked the way the other characters were developed in this book. I got the chance to know them better and I was introduced to new ones. They were surprisingly supportive for the now famous couple. They all offered me a new, interesting perspective of the story. 


All in all, I adored this book, I just couldn't put it down! I love Suzanne Collins' writing: her descriptions are so vivid and wonderfully detailed, that I was feeling like part o the action myself - like I was one of the cameras.:) She has amazing, pulse pounding ideas, that create a mysterious, captivating, beautifully written story. 
Needless to say it's a must have book - who read The Hunger Games will definitely devour Catching Fire!
5 stars

If you're curious, here's the Romanian cover :


xoxo 

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...