September 17, 2012

Romanian Bookish Love #8 (Top 10 Books I Want in Romania)

Hey guys!

I haven't posted this feature in quite a while, so it's time to share some love for our Romanian books and publishers!


I've been in the book blogging world for over a year and a half (yes, I had to take a couple of breaks when real life got in the way, but I still wasn't completely oblivious to the bookish world). In all this time, I've stalked blogs, publishers, book fairs, book releases, bookstores, I've talked to other readers and bloggers....  So, by now, I think I should have an idea about what my Romanian peeps like to read. Of course, I could be wrong, I'm no expert here and this is just my personal opinion, but today I wanted to talk about a few books I would like to see in our bookstores and libraries, books that I loved and I think everyone around here would enjoy as well. 

And when I say everyone, I really mean everyone. I'm not talking only about the excited readers, book lovers and bloggers or other people who are, as they say, 'in the know'. I'm also talking about people who don't have the time, patience, interest etc to follow the bookish trends, to read reviews, blogs or to check out publishers' websites regularly. (It kind of pains me just to write this, but I have to be realistic here. It happens). People who walk into a random bookstore on a random day to pick up a random book that they might or might not read that day. People who give/receive a book as gift. Or people who walk into a bookstore after a crazy day at school/work and want to pick up an awesome book to loose themselves into another world and another story before calling it a day and going to bed. So...

Here's a tentative top with books I highly recommend (and I think would be well received by other Romanian readers too):
* For those of you who've been asking me for a list of recommendations (I'm working on it, I promise!), you can consider this one, for starters..;)

This was a book that gave me pause. A book that made me see the Contemporary lit differently. It gave me a life lesson, but it also gave me a sweet, dreamy love story. It was a book that opened my eyes and made me somehow more aware of the reality around me. Aware of characters, situations, talents, voices and so much more. It was clever, raw, emotional, intense, but also realistic and very beautiful. I will try to write a review (sometime soon, hopefully), but for now, all I'm saying is that if you only have time to read 3 books in a year, this should be one of them. You won't regret it, I promise. ;) Same goes for Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarryFlat-Out Love by Jessica Park and Slammed by Colleen Hoover. ;)



2. Half-Blood (The Covenant series) By Jennifer L. Armentrout
As much as it makes me cringe and roll my eyes when someone compares this series to the Vampire Academy, I do believe it would appeal to that series' fans - and to many, many more readers. It's very complex, fun and well written (I swear, JLA was an incredible way with words, it just carries you away...). Plus: lots of action, kickbutt characters, gods (!!!), original plot, very well developed characters, realistic relationships and situations... Definitely a must read. Oh, and did I mention the swoon-worthy male interests?:D




3. The Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent
The fact that we still don't have this series here is almost tragic. Really. When it comes to on-going YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy series, this is one of the go-to series. (like The Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy, The Morganville Vampires or other popular series). Rachel Vincent is one of the best authors out there: you can see all the experience, thoughtfulness, originality, inspiration etc that goes into creating her world building, situations, twists, mysteries and characters. This series isn't just fun and like nothing else out there, it's really, really good.




4. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
(You're probably tired by now by my mentioning this book all the time. But hey, after all this time and all these books, this story really stayed with me, so there you go...) This is the kind of book that ... messes with your head (to say it mildly). It's dark. Creepy. Sexy. Mysterious. Hair-rising. Funny.  Unforgettable. And did I mention sexy?:D It's the kind of book that makes you scream "WTF just happened???" when it ends. The kind of book that makes you call your BFF in the middle of the night, right after you finish it, to vent about those mind blowing, unbelievable events that led to that ending. And the writing? Pure awesomeness!




5. The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa
Well, the fact that we don't have this series in our bookstores is just as tragic as the fact that we don't have The Soul Screamers. I'm not a big fan of Traditional/High Fantasy, so I'm not really up to date with the genre, but I think this series would be truly successful here. We do have the G.R.R. Martin kind of Fantasy, but not many of the YA, fun, sweet, colorful, sexy kind. (There is Kristin Cashore though). And Julie Kagawa's writing is so rich, beautiful, and absolutely original, it's impossible not to fall in love with her stories. Same goes with the Witch Song series, which I just read and reviewed on the blog last week. ;)



6. Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer
Wow! This book was so... out-of-this-world, it was almost mind blowing! It's a great, cute, interesting, unputdownable retelling of Cinderella, with all sorts of sci-fi elements, action, snark, humor, romance and a fascinating world building. It's something that can combine a fairy tale with realistic and futuristic elements and still make it work wonderfully. WIN.







7. The Sea Breeze series by Abbi Glines (my review)
This is the kind of series that will appeal to YA Contemporary Romance lovers. Readers who liked Perfect Chemistry (hey, my teenage sister liked that one too, and she only reads like 5 non-school-related book per year, so that's a big accomplishment in my book LOL - no worries sis, I still love you :D). It's sweet, touching, fun, realistic and the perfect escape.



8. And on the same note... The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
This is the kind of book LOTS of teenagers could relate to. Not to mention that it's really sexy and fun. :D









9. Defiance by C.J. Redwine (my review)
This is a very complex novel and, like I said in my review, it has something for everyone: elements of YA Historical Romance, Coming of Age, Fantasy, Steampunk, Dystopia, plus lots of action, adventure, suspense, twists, turns and very well developed characters.







10. The Curse Workers series by Holly Black
We rarely get a YA series told from a male POV, and a very good and entertaining one at that. This is a series that combines an interesting, clever plot, paranormal elements, mafia, cons, mystery... It has a Drama/Crime TV show kind of feel. And the main character is very like-able: smart, funny, sarcastic and with a super cool (and kind of scary) ability. Awesomeness all around!


And because I've never been good with lists, tops and narrowing things down to a specific number, I had to add another one...

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica #1) by Beth Fantaskey.
This is a YA vampire story inspired by Romanian myths and history. I always find it highly entertaining seeing what new spin authors can add to our vamp culture. Hello, Vlad Tepes and hello, Mr. Lucius Vladescu!:)) And from all the YA Paranormal (Romance) books with a similar theme I've read, Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side is one of the best. All the elements are very close to reality (the closest, in fact). I'm kind of impressed with Ms Fantaskey's writing and accuracy. All the details are so perfect and vivid: the words, the places, the names, the furniture, even the food and the deserts...(hello, yummy papanasi. :))) So, yeah, you can't miss this one. ;)




Ok, that's about it for now. I know there are Romanian bloggers who have campaigns to promote the YA lit here and who help our publishers to find what's best for our readers and followers: I really respect and appreciate your love, commitment and support. You guys rock! *group hug*

**I can almost feel some people frowning at me, so let me say it again: I've only expressed my personal opinion here. ;)

What do you think about these books/series? Have you read them? Do you like them? Do you think they could be the ice-breakers for non book lovers? Or what other book/series do you think everyone should read?

Have a great week!

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post Deea :) !! There are a lot of awesome books I've read in English that I'd like to see getting published in France !! I so have to read Easy because it sounds like an amazing contemporary read. I absolutely adored Half Blood and I can't wait for Deity !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elodie- Thanks! You HAVE to read Easy, I'm sure you'll like it! Oh, and I can't wait for Deity either! *dies of impatience*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your top and with the order :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chris - I know, right? They're the best! Oh, and I don't think I put the books in that order on purpose, but now that I think about it... Yes, that's how it should be!:))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...